Is the Gospel saying the “sinner’s prayer?”
Is it accepting Jesus into your heart?
The Gospel is that Jesus is the King!
Specifically, Jesus …
1. preexisted as God the Son,
2. was sent by the Father,
3. took on human flesh from a virgin mother in fulfillment of God’s promises to David,
4. died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures,
5. was buried,
6. was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures,
7. appeared to many witnesses,
8. is enthroned at the right hand of God as the ruling Christ,
9. has sent the Holy Spirit to his people to effect his rule, and
10. will come again as final Judge to rule.
At least, this is what St. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 15:1-6
Matthew W. Bates says the purpose of the gospel is allegiance to Jesus the king in all the nations. Our response is allegiance alone, expressed in repentance, trusting loyalty, and baptism.